What's On (in 1537)!
Our Pirate Trail stories are set in the year 1537, here on Corfu.
Now that’s a long time ago so you are probably asking: What else was going on that year elsewhere in the world?
Quite a lot, as it happens!
January – June
- January – Bigod's Rebellion, an uprising by Roman Catholics against Henry VIII of England
- January 6 – Alessandro de Mediciis assassinated.
- March – Diego de Almagro successfully charges Manco Inca's, siege of Cuzco, thereby saving his antagonists, the Pizarro brothers.
- March 12 – Recife is founded by the Portuguese in Brazil (see also 100 Best Things to do in Brazil on Jen Reviews).
- June 2 – Pope Paul III publishes the encyclical Sublimis Deus, which declares the natives of the New World to be rational beings with souls who must not be enslaved or robbed.
July – December
- August 15– Asunción is founded by Juan de Salazar y Espinoza. It's the oldest city in South America.
- August 25 – The Honourable Artillery Company, the oldest surviving regiment in the British Army, and the second most senior, is formed.
- August-September – The Ottomans fail to capture Corfu.
- Manco II establishes neo-Inca independent state at Vilacampa, Peru.
- The Spaniards bring the potato to Europe.
- The island of Paros is conquered by the Ottoman Empire
- Religious buildings are dissolved by Henry VIII, including
- Bisham Abbey is founded by Henry VIII in place of Bisham Priory.
- Bangalore is first mentioned.
The above information is taken from Wikipedia so you can follow up any of the highlighted links by simply clicking on them.